Tuesday, May 09, 2017



Former BJ medical writer Phil Canuto is celebrating an incredible event: the 15th anniversary of his successful kidney transplant from his cousin.


“Fifteen years ago today I received a new kidney from my cousin after being on dialysis for seven months. My doctors thought the kidney might last for 15 years, but it is still going strong.

“Much is said about the transformational power of organ transplantation that it has almost become a cliché. But it really is true. The transplant not only saved my life, it gave me the best 15 years of my life.


“Many thanks to my cousin (who I have kept anonymous on social media) and to all the people kept me alive these many years. And thanks also to those closest to me who have supported me – and endured – my many health problems.


“And if you haven’t signed your donor info when you get your driver’s license, please consider it.”


My memory of Phil at Ol’ Blue Walls (1987-95) was his astonishment when I revealed my chloresterol count in the 120s (thanks to my Polish grandmother’s DNA): “That can’t be. That’s marathon runner levels.”
Grandma Olesky’s DNA will has my count in the 104s today.
Phil came from Jacksonville, Illinois by way of Northwestern University School of Journalism (Patrick T. Englehart’s alma mater, too) to the BJ. He still lives in Akron.
Before writing for the Cleveland Clinic, Phil was Public Information Officer for the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Information Service.

No comments: