Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Patrick Carney tosses first pitch in Indians opener

Patrick Carney tosses baseball to Sandy Alomar
Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney tossed out the ceremonial first pitch Tuesday in the Cleveland Indians' 2016 opening game. He missed the strike zone, but the baseball reached Sandy Alomar's glove on a 34-degree day.

This was the second time Carney has attended the Tribe's home opener. He took his father, Jim, in 2014.

Carney said his father – retired BJ reporter Jim Carney -- is "obsessed with baseball" and is ever the optimist.

"I feel good about it," Carney said. "As my dad says, this is the year. Every year."

Carney said he played youth baseball for four years before he turned to music at the age of 13. His team won a title.

In 1997, a teenage Carney accompanied his father to the World Series between the Indians and Florida Marlins at Jacobs Field.

"When they lost that series, my dad was so upset," Carney said. "I was 17 and I was like, 'You know what? I don't know if I really want to invest.' My dad was 50 and bummed out. By the time I was 30, I started coming around, getting back into baseball."

 

No comments: