Thursday, April 09, 2015



They put the ‘good’ in the BJ’s good ol’ days

Retired BJ photographer Ott Gangl provided this photo of the BJ 3rd floor gang gathering at the late Art Dept. chief Bud Morris’ Medina County home.

How many do you recognize from long ago?

Starting at the front, I see reporter Pam McCarthy, photographer Tom Marvin, artist Dennis Haas, Composing’s Joe Catalano, columnist Polly Paffilas, editor Ken Cole (cup upraised), photographer Bill Hunter, photographer Ron Kuhner, photographer Ott Gangl (sprawled), chief artist Bud Morris (almost kneeling, far right), Reference Library chief Cathy Tierney, Action Line’s unique Craig Wilson, managing editor Bill Schlemmer, copy desk’s Art Cullison, travel writer Ed Schoenleb, columnist Fran Murphey, artist Art Krummel, editor Tim Smith, editor Sol Schwartz, State Desk super-energized super chief Pat Englehart, editor Dave Boerner, editor Tim Hayes, photographer Lew Henderson, sports columnist Jack Patterson, copy desk’s Don Hawk (far right, striped shirt), who got the job I came to interview for at the BJ (so Ben Maidenburg had Dan Warner make me assistant State Desk editor and hand me over to the guy with the frenetic behavior and the DeNobil cigar).

At least 14 of them are in that Great Newsroom in the Sky where Saint Peter “talks like a man with a paper asshole” (yes, that’s a tribute to Patrick T., the best editor I ever had in my 43-year newspaper career).


After the initial posting of this article, former BJ reporter Barbara Galloway Mudrak, who obviously still has a sharp wit, corrected me on the identification of her in Ott Gangl’s photo.

Barb’s email:

“John,

“That's not me in the front row of Ott's photo, I'm thinking that's Pam McCarthy, since Tom Marvin is right behind her. I think this predates me. Plus, I never sat that daintily.

“Barb”

I stand corrected, Barb, and thanks for providing my chuckle for the day.


Retired BJ artist Dennis Haas, who went to the KRN Washington bureau and the St. Petersburg Times IT staff, solved the issue. Here are the IDs for EVERYONE at the party.




No comments: