Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Catching up with . . . Charles Montague


John,

You asked if my heart attack recovery was complete. I have done really well and feel great.  But HA recovery is pretty much a lifetime thing. Each new day you're happy to be here and it brings things to do -- especially take your drugs, get some exercise and eat heart-healthy, or at least mostly.  

It has worked out well. Hey, I can still drink some wine and even a couple ounces of spirits now and then.  

Still reffing youth soccer, but just kids 9-12 on smaller fields, where I can walk. Not so good at running anymore, but that's due to my artificial hips and arthritis in my real joints rather than heart. I volunteer 2 afternoons a week helping my friends on the staff of the City Hospital Cardiac Rehab Lab, who conduct classes and get folks started on an exercise program after their "cardiac event," an Official Medical Term that covers a lot besides HA.  

You asked about traveling. Just got back from the trip I had planned for 2012 when the HA intervened -- 43 days on the road driving to and from....Alaska. My 4th trip to The Great Land.

Charles Montague
Had not driven in US west of Billings, Mont., and the rest of I-90 to Seattle is just gorgeous. Drove 75 miles north to Bellingham, Wash., and car and I got on Alaska Marine Highway car ferry for the 3-day, 1,080-mile trip up the Inside Passage of Southeast Alaska past Juneau to Skagway.

Drove north into Whitehorse, Yukon, and headed west. Had always wanted to see western Yukon and eastern Alaska that I had been flying over on way to Anchorage.

Spent a week on Denali Highway in Denali State Park, which Alaskans like better than Denali National Park to the west. Now I see why.
Was ferried in a van the 488 miles north from Fairbanks to Deadhorse Camp and Prudhoe Bay oilfields and back south to see the sights, and saw plenty, including rare blond bear cubs -- that color because mom, who was with them, is brown bear, but dad is polar bear.
Spent a couple days at Talkeetna Roadhouse and Restaurant. Town, people and restaurant were the inspiration for the TV dramedy “Northern Exposure.” Also now see why on that.
Flew in a 52-year-old deHavilland Otter airplane around the high parts of The Mountain and landed and got out  and walked around the Root Glacier at 5,600 feet. (People in Canton say Mount McKinley; people in Alaska say Denali or The Mountain. I'm with the Alaskans. I think most people think the mountain was named for him because he was assassinated. Wrong-o. Powerful Republicans back then, of the ilk of today's, got mountain named for him simply because he got Republican nomination for president -- not even for winning the job.  Shameful.)
Spent a week each on the islands of Sitka in the Southeast, home to the amazing Alaska Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bears, which treat injured eagles and other birds of prey and injured bears, respectively, and Kodiak, where I fished and drove 26 miles, with guide, on a hugely rocky trail in an ATV to the incredibly beautiful Saltery Cove, after The Mountain my new favorite place in Alaska.
Rafted the Kenai River. For last week, sister of my younger daughter-in-law flew out. Showed her Seward and best day boat tour in Alaska, with breeching whales and calving oceanside glaciers.
Stopped at summer training camp of sled dogs of the Seavey family of Iditarod fame. Mitch won for 2nd time this year.  His son, 26, who won 2 years ago, was 3rd. But my hero is Mitch's dad, who this year at the age of 74 ran his 21st Iditarod. The race is 1,049 miles behind a team of 16 sled dogs in temperatures of minus 20 to minus 40. Amazing.  
We went down to Homer and flew 159 miles each way on small plane to Hallo Bay on Katmai Coast to walk, with guides, for three hours among wild bears; had total of 15 of them within 100 yards of us at one point.  Guides know what they are doing; the service I used has never had to hurt a bear, and never had customer injured.
When we pulled out of motel parking lot next morning, it was only 5,411 miles to home. All told, 10,400 miles on the car.
Had no qualms about starting trip in an 11-year- old Accord with 173,400 miles on it.  No car problems; hey, it's an Ohio-built Honda.
Came home gloriously exhausted and hugely broke. Latter is reason I've gone on a bit.  My story is a plug for consulting. I do help people make the most of what  likely be their only trip to Alaska.  For a small fee, I recommend an itinerary based on time they have, money they have and their interests and how adventurous they are. I will save them, for example, much more than cost of my fee with my tips on safe, clean and comfortable housing in Anchorage and Fairbanks, where, because of summer demand, a "cheap" motel is $200 a night.  Would be happy to work with anybody planning on Alaska by plane, ship or car.  Just call or email.  
Chuck Montague
Chasm’s email is refall50@hotmail.com



No comments: