Monday, January 25, 2010

Catching up with . . . Marilyn Geewax

Here is email from former Beacon Journal staffer Marilyn Geewax:

Hi my old BJ friends, John Olesky has been after me for months to let you know what I have been doing. And I have been mighty slow to respond because I am always SO BUSY here at NPR. But here’s the rough outline:

You may recall that in 1985, I left Akron for the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I had a good run there
as a reporter, then editorial board member and columnist. In fact, the ABJ used to run my column from time to time. While at the Atlanta paper, I took a year out for a Nieman Fellowship at Harvard.

Then in 1999, I was invited to move up to Washington to become the National Economics Correspondent for all 17 Cox Newspapers. The chain includes the Dayton Daily News, so I was reunited (in a corporate sense) with Bill Hershey! I mostly covered Congress. Went to night school to get a masters at Georgetown,,,and taught as an adjunct for a few years at George Washington University.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my job, but Cox closed the entire Washington bureau amid the Great Recession…My last day was Dec. 5, 2008. I moved over just a few blocks to NPR on Dec. 15, 2008. So I have been here about 13 months. My title is senior business editor…I assign and edit biz stories, and I do a little radio commentary every other Sunday on Morning Edition. You can hear me if you go to www.npr.org and type Geewax into the search engine. It’ll take you to a list of my stuff and you can click on “listen.”

It’s pretty cool here at NPR, though the work load and deadline pressures can be brutal. No whining though…in this job market, I know how lucky I am to have a job. I miss writing a lot, but am learning the joys of radio. All things considered (yuk, yuk), life is pretty good for me. My parents are still living in Youngstown so I get back to Ohio regularly. Hope you all have a great new year, Cheers, mg





NPR, of course, is National Public Radio.

For an earlier BJ Alums post providing more details on Marilyn, click on the headline.

No comments: