Monday, October 12, 2009

Scott Bosley off to Chile

I got this email from former Beacon Journal managing editor Scott Bosley, who is executive editor of the American Society of News Editors:

I'm off to Santiago, Chile, later this week on a visit for the journalism accrediting organization.

And I am working with my board to find a replacement at ASNE, from which I announced earlier this year I would be retiring at the end of 2009.

= = = = = = = =

Scott has been on the ASNE board for more than a decade. He spent more than 30 years with Knight-Ridder newspapers, including the BJ; the Detroit Free Press with the "Akron mafia" of John Dunphy, Larry Froelich and Jim Ricci; Knight Ridder Tribune Information Services; The Journal of Commerce, as editor; and the Gary, Indiana, Post-Tribune, as publisher.

Scott came to the BJ, as I did, by way of West Virginia and West Virginia University. Scott and Tom Melody (another WVU grad who found his way to the BJ) both are Keyser High School graduates in the state's eastern panhandle.

I consider Scott the best of the 16 managing editors I worked with. Maybe that was because I saw up-close how talented he is as Scott's right-hand man to handle details of projects that required consistent hands-on attention, including one of many renovations of the newsroom.

For personal and other details about Scott, who with wife Carol are the parents of two adult children, click on the headline to see a 2005 BJ Alums blog story on our man from West Virginia.

No comments: