Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Rx benefits report from Bob Abbott


Hey gang...

What's that old saying...it ain't over until it's over....?

A situation has arisen that possibly could give us a foothold in this battle against the BJ's actions. It's the thing I had to wait for 6 months to see if it would develop...it appeared it hadn't but lo and
behold...it has reared it's ugly head and now is a fact.

What it boils down to is the fact that with the BJ "forcing" us to sign up for the Aetna/Medicare part D Rx program it has greatly limited...if not totally eliminated...any of us being able to get into a Medicare/private provider program for a Medicare sponsored medical/hospital part A and B coverage.

The only options available to us is much more expensive alternatives such as a true "supplement" program which has nothing to do with Medicare.

Even the human resources department of the BJ has told me this within the last 10 days. They have said that NO "advantage" programs are compatible with the Aetna/Medicare group part D we were forced into.

In talking with Medicare they also have verified that they will not split their payment to two different providers in any Medicare involved package.

The lawyer I have been working with wanted me to give him a call if I found that my "other" programs (Medicare part A and B) were adversly affected. I thought I had found a program that would work and almost was ready to call him and tell him that all was proceeding OK. But not so...

I still need to get in touch with Aetna to make sure that I am not eligible for their advantage program for part A and B. While this might be only a county problem (I live in Stark County) they previously had told me that I couldn't get those coverages...and that was a story in itself...a real mess...

This is also a heads up for you younger retirees/buyout people that are heading for Medicare when you or a spouse hits the age of 65...you might find that you will have some real problems with your parts A and B.

I also need to get in touch with a couple people I know have reached this point and find out what they have done and if they have any problems...

Also, one of our group has had contact with another lawyer whom has a different focus on the whole situation...I don't have any details on this yet but this is why I strongly advise everybody to try this avenue to see if we can get other opinions on what can be done.

Overall...don't hold your breath or think we are finally on our way...it must be determined wether it will be financially viable to pursue this and if, indeed, we do have a strong case.

It ain't over until it's over...

bob abbott

No comments: