Friday, July 04, 2008

Here's an update from William Levenson

Sanford Levenson's son Bill of Washington, DC, sent us a note earlier, but here's more he is sharing:

Thank you for the wonderful tribute to my dad and your posts on this site. I knew about his work at the Beacon when I was growing up, but having the title of copy desk editor is most meaningful when you read tributes from his fellow employees at the Beacon where he spent almost his entire working career. He used his professional skills as a journalist and editor as a volunteer in our synagogue, Beth El Congregation, where for many years he was the editor of the monthly bulletin and yearbook. I remember many times my dad bringing the bulletin proofs home and laying out the bulletin on our kitchen table. In later years he used computer graphics to design countless programs for Beth El events and wedding programs. He always enjoyed doing this volunteer work and never got upset when people gave him last minute changes or additions. And as you would expect, any flyer or program he did had to be perfect before it was officially done.

I have been living in Washington, DC for several years and recently bought a condo. Although my dad was not well over the past year, he really wanted to visit and see my new place. He and my Mom came to Washington, DC for a visit this past weekend. He got to see my new place, and being the handyman that he is, was able to make a couple minor repairs to some small things despite his weakened condition. I thought of a couple DC sites that he would appreciate seeing. On Friday we went to the new Newseum, which is well worth a visit. Outside the Newseum, there are reprints of front page newspapers, one from each state. We walked by these slowly and he liked seeing how different front pages were set up (they are also online at www.newseum.org under Today's Front Pages). He also liked seeing the history of news gathering over the years. We had lunch that day at the National Press Club, which I was able to get a guest pass so we could see where journalists in DC hang out.

We had a wonderful time when he was in Washington, DC this past weekend, and I am really glad he got to see my new condo and meet some of my friends there. He was fine until Sunday night, when he started to not feel well and lost all his strength. My Mom and he drove back to Akron on Monday. After a long battle with cancer, he went to Hospice on Wednesday morning and died several hours later.

As you know my Dad worked almost his entire career at the Akron Beacon Journal, whose initials are ABJ. Sandra and Sanford Levenson's children are Bill, Joel, and Anne, or in a different order, Anne, Bill, and Joel, or ABJ. Growing up, as you can imagine, we thought this was a very interesting coincidence!

Bill Levenson
Washington, DC
bill_levenson@hotmail.com

No comments: