Thursday, December 06, 2007

Medicare note from Bob Abbott

OK Gang:

Here we go again...

This is ONLY for those that were "forced" to sign up with Medicare part D by the BJ. That means you must be old enough for Medicare. What I
need to know if that affected your part A and B of Medicare and if so...was it resolved and if so, how? This would be probably in conjunction
with an "Advantage" program. What did Medicare say about it? What did the BJ benefits department say or do about it?

I know there are/were some people being hit by this. Usually in the form of being informed that they no longer could be carried in any
"Advantage" program since we had to sign up for the BJ group plan of Medicare part D. Apparently Medicare will not split the Medicare checks to sub
contractors in two different program providers.

It's a real mess...I know because I have been affected and have been fighting this (along with our original problems) since April...when I was
informed by Aetna Advantage program that I was being dropped retroactively (back to Jan. 31 if you can believe that!) from part A & B
coverages. And any medical bills in that period of time would not be paid by them. Despite the fact that I had a valid medical card from Aetna that
said I was covered during that time!!

I have been in contact with numerous providers and nobody can seem to give me a straight answer as I twist in the wind. So it's back to
square one with more info this time to see if I can get some answers. Counsel wants to see exactly what the parties are saying (both Medicare and
the BJ) about the situation. There's a chance some leverage could be gained by us in regard to the situation.

So, I'll be calling Karen to see if she has any answers. Last Spring she didn't have any in regard to this situation. And have you tried to
talk to somebody in Medicare lately? Last time was a 65 minute hold. And this is now the open enrollment period for providers so it'll
probably be even worse. And then to get somebody that actually knows anything! My patience is getting pretty worn...

Anyway...I'm bringing this up because those of you that aren't at the Medicare age yet...take note...the train is coming down the tracks.

Things are in flux as far as Medicare and "Advantage" and even "Supplement" programs are concerned. And they're throwing in the part D in the
mix just to keep us totally confused. But I see some alternatives...none of them being what I signed up for at the time of my separation
from the BJ...but maybe things I might have to do in my personal situation. And hopefully some alternatives I can live with. I will of course
keep you informed...

I also will be filling you in on exactly the approach counsel has used and any new directions from the latest information I have given him.
He showed interest in many of the latest items but some of the best Couldn't be used because the people concerned haven't been directly
affected yet. I hope to get some of these clarifying e-mails out in the next week or two.

As far as what is immediately happening...if you (or anyone you know) has had some insurance problems (being cancelled by carriers) as a
result of the BJ's actions please let me know as soon as possible.

It will be undoubtedly into Jan. before any of this is sorted out. At this point we have a little money left. Probably enough to get him to
sort through this latest development. But that means I probably won't get the accounting from our slush fund to you until Feb. If we're
lucky we might have to make a choice at that time of either adding to the fund for some further action or let it go and split up any monies left.

thanks for your patience

bob abbott

No comments: