Monday, June 18, 2007

Stuck in submarine: Another great Fran story

A post from Nancy Yockey Bonar:

In the process of writing the first-ever submarine cookbook for the general public (with assist from U .S. Submarine Force), I communicate daily with former submariners.

I recently came across Dr. John Fakan, who met Fran about the mid-90s. He's the volunteer "skipper" of the nonprofit USS COD (SS 224) submarine museum in Cleveland. Formerly, he worked at NASA (Cleveland) to send people to the Moon and back.

-----

Here's what he wrote:

Some years ago the USS COD (SS 224) and Wm G. MATHER had a joint event on Lake Erie off Cleveland, and we had another boat ferrying guests between the two vessels.

I was aboard COD for most of the event, before transferring to the MATHER. As the ferrying boat pulled alongside COD to disembark a load of passengers from MATHER, I lent a hand to help folks aboard. I recall hoping that all of the visitors would be able to handle our crowded spaces and challenges (vertical ladders, hatches, etc.).

I transferred to the MATHER where I got the message from the COD that a female visitor had gotten stuck while coming up through the sub s after vertical ladder trunk. Some of the crew had used a rope sling to haul her up! I had visions of a big lawsuit for mishandling a visitor.

When I learned that the woman, Fran Murphey, was an Akron Beacon Journal reporter, I knew it wasn't going to be good. However, when Fran's article appeared it was very positive! She didn't mention her "stuck experience," but did comment in her story close, "It (being on a submarine) isn't for everyone".)

I wrote Fran to thank her for the wonderful story. I told her I was going to personally see to it that when she arrived in Heaven she would be granted a very high place. I'm sure that's where she is now.

John Fakan, PhD
President
USS COD
Cleveland


No comments: