Sunday, October 29, 2017


The only people missing, but part of the topics of conversation, were Fran Murphey and Pat Englehart.

Cathy Robinson Strong, Pam McCarthy and John Olesky, once on the BJ State Desk in the 1970s, and retired BJ photographer Don Roese were there with Don’s wife, Maryanne, and Cathy’s friend and Pam’s friend.

We gathered at Papa Gyro’s in North Canton, one of the best Greek restaurants in the area. We must have enjoyed it because, when I left to drive home to Tallmadge so I could get up the next morning to go to the WVU-Oklahoma State game in Mountaineer Field, we had been there for 3½ hours.

And the rest of the party of seven remained there, chatting away. There were only two other customers still in the restaurant.
 
Pam agreed:
“I, too, enjoyed the evening. So nice to reconnect with friends I haven’t seen in a while. (Notice I didn’t say 'old friends.' Lol!)”

When I commented that Pam looked amazingly like my daughter, LaQuita, a teacher in Aurora, she said:

“I remember my students used to always tell me I looked JUST like the actress who played Jill on 'Home Improvement.' While there definitely is a resemblance, it was more her voice and facial expressions while talking, I thought. So probably the same with your daughter.”

Patricia Richardson played Jill on the “Home Improvement” TV series starring Tim Allen.

Cathy's reaction:
 
"Thanks heaps for the great evening."

Cathy is touring America on a sabbatical, doing research. She’s on the journalism faculty of Massey University in Wellington, New Zealand. Cathy has a beach house, a mountain home and a city residence. When she’s home, that is.


Pam is a retired North Canton Hoover High English and journalism teacher.

Ron and Maryanne do a lot of traveling. They know Alaska like the back of a bear’s paw.

I’ve done a bit of traveling myself, including to New Zealand to visit Cathy in 2013, where Paula and I ran into Don Roese at Aukland Airport. Don and Maryanne were leaving NZ after a visit with Cathy and Paula and I were arriving for a reunion with Cathy.
 
That’s one of 55 countries and 44 states I have visited, mostly with Paula, who has traveled decades longer and to more countries than I have.

Reminiscing is good for the soul. And makes Ol’ Blue Walls days come to life again.

No comments: