Monday, October 16, 2017


Leonidas Frank Chaney, “Man of a Thousand Faces,” is getting a run for his money from Mark Dawidziak.

Lon Chaney was “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” and the title character in “The Phantom of the Opera” nearly a century before Gaston Leroux’s novel was set to the music by Andrew Lloyd Webber that stirs my soul and emotions every time I see it – in Toronto, in Cleveland, in the movie -- alongside the woman I love.

Dawidziak, current PD and former BJ pop culture critic, has been the face of Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, Mark Twain, a Civil War character, Rod Serling “Twilight Zone” worshipper and, Tuesday, October 17 and Thursday, October 26, a vampire.

Even Mark’s email address is a tribute to two icons, savage humorist H.L. Mencken and frenetic comedian Groucho Marx.

Mark’s Facebook post:
“For those of you who have asked (and those who didn't), two chances at area libraries to experience the awe and mystery that is The Vampire Talk, a lively look at the changing face of the undead in history, folklore, literature and the pop culture.

“These are a few of the props I'll be bringing to the North Royalton Branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library (5071 Wallings Road) at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, and the Cuyahoga Falls Library (2015 Third Street) at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26.
“As Count Dracula once said, time to think outside the box. Book signing after? Count on it.”
If you missed, that's coffin humor. The box. Get it?
The Vampire Talk is just part of Mark’s expansive resume. He did one in 2013 in Massillon at the Massillon Museum.
Some day I expect Mark to show up at one of the Largely Literary Theater’s Mark Twain performances dressed as Edgar Allen Poe. I don’t know how he keeps his characters straight, but he channels them amazingly accurately.
And I didn’t teach him any of that when he was my TV critic at the BJ for so many years, starting in 1983, during my Television Editor days at Ol’ Blue Walls.
I can't keep a straight face when I lie, let alone assume one of a thousand faces or, in Mark's case, close to a dozen faces.

No comments: