Tuesday, September 12, 2017

On the menu: Shoulder surgery for Jane

Jane Snow, in my opinion the best food writer in BJ history, will have shoulder replacement surgery Monday, September 18.

Jane Snow
Quips Jane:

I figured as soon as I gave away my shower chair I would need one again. Anyone have one I can borrow for a couple weeks?”

In 2005, Jane also had knee replacement surgery, like the one I had (for my right knee).

Her cookbook, “Jane Snow Cooks,” is in its umpteenth printing.

Jane was the food writer for 25 of her 28 years at Ol’ Blue Walls and earned national awards, usually with James Beard’s name on it (that’s the Oscar of food writing). Jane and 362 years of BJ experience left on the same day in 2006, including Debby Stock Kiefer, Diane Paparone Evans, Mike Needs, Sarah Vradenburg, Gloria Irwin, Mary Ethridge, Dave Hertz and Tim Good. You could start an excellent newspaper with that staff, even today.

Jane is married to Japanese native and sushi chef Tony Kawaguchi, who swept her off her feet when he hugged her into the air at his Sushi Katsu restaurant in the Merriman Valley and said, “You’re going to be my girlfriend.” Two weeks later, they were engaged. The next year, they were married. That was 10 years ago in April.

When a sushi chef marries a food writer you know that’s a match made in cuisine heaven.

No comments: