Monday, February 16, 2015

Ol’ Blue: A fun time

The late New York Times columnist David Carr must be able to read my mind. In a 2014 commencement speech to the graduating class at the University of California at Berkeley School of Journalism, he said:

“Being a journalist, you get to leave, go talk to strangers, ask them anything, come back and type up their stories, edit the tape. Think of the people who go to work every day, sweating hatred for what they do. We skip to work. So much fun.”

During my 26 years at the Beacon Journal (1969-96), I ran to work every day because it was so exhilarating. 

And I got to cross paths with people like John Knight, Ben Maidenburg, Fran Murphey, Joan Rice, Harry Liggett, Jane Snow, marvelous Mark Dawidziak.

I still get warm thoughts about it every day.

Even though I’m enjoying the hell out of my nearly 19 years of retirement and traveling to 52 countries and 43 states and taking 11 cruises.


To read Carr’s commencement speech, which is far from the boring balderdash of most such events, click on http://thedesk.matthewkeys.net/2015/02/david-carr-berkeley-commencement-speech/

No comments: