Saturday, February 15, 2014

OSU roommate’s view on Harry 

The late BJ Alums founder Harry Liggett's former Ohio State roommate, Jack Pershing, provides new details about the 1965-95 BJ newsroom editor:

John:

I read the eulogy that Harry's nephew posted on Harry. Very meaningful.  Harry and I roomed together at OSU for 2 years. We lost track of each other since I got married and remained in the Columbus area.  Harry worked with my brother-in-law at the newspaper in Uhrichsville.  

Harry did a great job when he set up the Facebook for our high school class.  With Harry posting on it, we were able to keep in contact. 

Hope that you are doing well with your Pacemaker.  Again,  you did a great job with the information you continued to post when Harry was ill.  I felt bad that I couldn't make it to Akron to see Harry.  

Jack Pershing

In an earlier email, Jack posted:
I was a classmate of Harry's at Dennison High School.  I have some photos I want to sent to Tom (Harry's son) that were taken when Harry and I were in our Junior class play.  

I also appreciated the fact that I could keep up with Harry's status thru your BJ Alums blog when Harry was ill.  

Harry  was a great person and he will be missed by all. 

Jack Pershing

Harry passed away Jan. 24 after being in and out of hospitals and nursing homes since his August 2013 surgery. He was a legend at the BJ for being a stickler for accuracy and his no-nonsense style in training reporter after reporter.

Once, when Harry lamented about a reporter's mistake, I said, "Well, Harry, everyone has to begin somewhere," he replied, in typically terse, muttering Harry style: "Yeah, but you get tired after saying the same thing 500 times." 

Oh, well, now Harry can help St. Peter deal with Pat Englehart, the whirling dervish State Desk Editor.

No comments: