Monday, February 17, 2014

No doubt: Matt Detrich loves his job

Matt Detrich

The best photojournalists always keep an eye out for a good shot, and last Friday, that approach paid off for former Beacon Journal photographer Matt Detrich.

Matt, in his 16th year at the Indianapolis Star, recounts that snowy Valentine’s Day morning: “I parked on the seventh floor of the parking garage of the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre, and wanted to kill time before my
assignment inside the hotel. So I shot some photos from my vantage point. About 10 minutes into making some photos, I noticed a couple walk up to the steps of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument. Before I knew it, the man got down on one knee and appeared to propose to his girlfriend while another person took pictures.”

Matt did not have time to get down to talk with the couple, but was able to track them down later with a little help from social media. Taylor Cox, 23, explained to the paper how he set up his proposal to Hannah Klenotic, 21, with the aid of another Matt:

“It all started a couple of weeks ago, when we began planning what we would be doing and how we would be spending Valentine's Day together. We met in the summertime of last year, so this was our first Valentine's Day. She also told me that she had never really celebrated it with anyone, so I wanted to make sure that it was special. I knew from our second date that I loved her more than anything, and wanted to be her husband one day. She has been my best friend and companion ever since then. I contacted my photographer friend, Matt Morgan, and asked him if he could get us in for a 'couple's shoot,' since we don't have very many pictures together, something Hannah always brings up. I asked him if he could help me with the proposal, and direct her to turn her back away from me so that I could get down on one knee, and hold the ring out while she turned around. I wanted to capture the moment, and get her natural reaction on film for us to always have. So, we met Matt downtown on the Circle where we were going to shoot, and you know the rest! She said 'yes'!”

Matt Detrich, a 1994 graduate of Ohio University, worked at the Medina County Gazette and the Beacon Journal before joining the Star in 1999. He has won many awards for his work, including being named 2012 Photographer of the Year by the Indiana News Photographers Association.

On his profile on muckrack.com, Matt says there is “no greater career in the world” than photojournalism. Especially on days like last Friday.

Matt Detrich's photograph for the Indianapolis Star captures Taylor Cox proposing to Hannah Klenotic.

No comments: