Saturday, June 06, 2009

D-Day: Remembering Tom Ryan


Everyone has his story of Tom Ryan. There is, for instance, the forever and always dangling cigarette. Today, because it is the 65th anniversary of D-Day, we are publishing a letter Tom sent to old BJ friends Charlie Buffum and Kathy Goforth describing his trip back to Omaha Beach on the 40th annivsary in 1983. Tom's diary was published August 5, 1984 in Beacon Magazine. The Beacon Journal published a special edition with a massive headline: INVASION! ALLIED TROOPS NOW IN NORTHERN FRANCE. Shown here is the front page for Tuesday, June 6, 1944. Tom's letter typed on two pages of old copy paper was sent to us still intact. Here it is:


Dear Kathy and Buff,

What a treat it was to get your letter and I owe you an apology for taking so long to answer.

I flew non-stop on German Condor from Cleveland to Frankfurt which would have made it a little tough to stop off in New York. What I wonder, is how you haypened to get a copy of the Barberton Herald. I told Herald editor Dave Spice about it and he said "Finally we have scooped the Beacon in something.”

You'll never know how the Beacon employees made me feel with the trip back to Normandy. I cried every time I talked to them before leaving and I had another cry when they were waiting for me (and my bottle of champagne) when I returned.

I kept a diary of what I
did to let them read arid Tim Smith decided it should be used in the Beacon Magazine. They are doing a cover story ior Aug. 5 and I'll send you one. I won't tell you everything that happened in this letter, saving some for the magazine piece later.

I didn't write the diary for publication and wanted to patch it up, but they said it should go as is. Lifestyle editor Bob Jodon wasn't sure I should be paid for it, but Tim said it was on on my time and he had to pay. Tim asked me what I wanted for it. I hesitated while tossing around in my head a figure of $200. ~ Before I could reply, Tim said "How about $400?" That goes to show that us dummy slow thinkers sometimes luck out.


I was able to find almost the exact spot on Omaha Beach where I landed 40 years ago. Going to the cemetery at
the top of the hill was agony. I choked when I saw all of those white crosses and looked for the names of buddies who died there.

Several days later, got mugged and robbed of $100 on a busy Paris Street in broad daylight.

That makes twice I've been to France and both times someone gave me a hard time. I've had it with that place.

I’m glad Kathy still has a crush on me because she's one of the special people in this world I truly Love. You're O.K., too, Buff.

Enclosed is a copy of our Beacon D-Day Plus 40 stories and a copy of the Beacon Employee magazine, Sidebar,.formerly Tower Topics. This is the first edition under a real reporter, Sara Vradenberg who was hired to liven it up.

I think about both of you always and we often talk about the old days on the night-side rewrite where they've planted me from now to doomsday. I put out about 50 to 60 inches of copy a night on the idiot box which was close to what I did in the old Barberton beat.

Incidentally, Pete Geiger is going on the Barberton beat starting next week. Nancy Peacock is coming in to evening rewrite until this fall when she will be going on maternity leave again.

I still have the picture of Kathy as a clown framed and hanging at home. I could use some later art of both of you and I'll scout up some pictures tb send later.

I apologize for sending this on copy paper, the cheapskates around here lock up the good stuff when the day shift goes home.

I'm hanging on to my passport in case I get a chance to come to New York some day. Next time you're in Akron, make sure we all get to see you.

Love to both of you,





Blog Endnote: The Beacon Journal today published a ftont page story by Jim Carney entitled “The Longest Day” which includes the stories of a paratrooper who landed in France, a Falls man who commanded a tank on the beach, and family with twp brothers who fought in battle.
See Carney’s story.





1 comment:

John Olesky said...

Priceless!!!