Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Update from a retired engraver


Here's an update from retired BJ engraver Charles Schmook


I retired in Sept. 1995, WOW! I was in the Engraving Dept. for 14 years, starting in 1981. Since retiring I've kept myself busy being a Co-Director of the Parma Hunger Center. We are open on Tues. and Fri. for a couple hours each day. As you can expect with the economic conditions as they are, we are really busy! Just today we serviced 43 families. A couple of years ago we would average about 15 families per session.

I am still the Secy-Treas. of both the Ohio State Assn. of Allied Printing Trades Councils and the Northeast Ohio Allied Printing Trades Council. Our numbers keep dwindling and I fear the State Assn. is about on its last legs.

For recreation, I have had two motorhomes since retirement and we have done quite a bit of traveling. It's really the way to go! The last few years we have gone to Florida from mid-January to mid-March. We had three daughters and the oldest now lives in Tampa, FL so we do spend a few weeks in that area each year. My son-in-law is an editor for the Tampa Tribune. Previously he was the Editor of the Bonita Banner in Bonita Springs, FL.

A couple of years ago, we did look up Bill Hillsheimer, a former BJ photo-engraver also. He lives in Nakomis, FL.

That's about the size of it from here in Parma.

Take care,

Chuck Schmook

No comments: