Thursday, March 08, 2007

An update from Pat Dougherty

Here’s an update from Pat Dougherty, BJ Engraving Department retiree

By Pat Dougherty

Yes, there is life after retirement. I am totally convinced that 'retirement' is much mo
re than a vision of just sitting down in your Lazyboy rocker and doing nothing. Doing nothing is borrrrrrring!

With that in mind, after retiring from the engraving department, I got a job at Acme packing groceries and chasing carts. Had a ball with the kids I worked with. Was I ever tha
t naive about life? I probably was but I chose to not remember. (Selective memory you know. It's one of the perks of my age group.) At any rate there was enough fodder for a half dozen soap operas to be found in the store. Single mothers struggling to make ends meet - Marriage break-ups.- engagements. - In-store romances. - teen pregnancies - Young boys (& girls) who never had to do a lick of work or follow orders trying to adjust to a brand new world. And that's just the help. Customers were just as varied and just as much fun. I loved them all. Got to play Santa the last couple of years. Gave out candy canes to the kids. I will never forget an elderly lady who came up to me with a sly grin and whispered that she really hadn't been a very good girl this past year. So I whispered back to her, " In that case you get two candy canes." I will never forget the look on her face.

However all good things have to come to an end and I had to leave the Acme because of a bad back and knee. Just couldn't hack the bending over to back bags and pushing the carts around the parking lot. I really miss working with the folks there.

Got a new job as the custodian at St. Joseph's church in Cuyahoga Falls. It's part-time and lot less hectic than the Acme. I open and close the church and work at my own pace to keep the place clean. If I get tired and can just sit down and rest. Can't beat the atmosphere. Just me and God. We have had quite a few interesting conversations. Mostly I talk and He listens. But every once in a while He gets a word in edgewise.

Since I left the BJ, Liz and I have managed to add a couple of grand kids for a total of 7. The icing on the cake however, was the arrival 18 months ago, of our first great grandson Kai David Nelson.
My woodworking has been slow this winter - too cold in the garage. However I will be finishing a hope chest for my granddaughter Malinda. It's a graduation present. She will be getting a chemical engineering degree from UA in May.

Trying my hand at Bonsai. Have killed 5 plants so far. Where is Art Krummel when I need him? Maybe I should just stick to working with the timber rather than trying to grow it.

Read the BJ blogspot every day. Really enjoy reading about old friends and co-workers.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat & I are proof that each BJ retiree handles his retirement in a different way. Pat found it borrring not working, and found stuff to do that brightened his days. Former printer Terry Dray plays golf every day near his Avon Park, FL, home.

Me? I find not working great! Travel is my bag, from Europe to China to the Caribbean to USA warm spots like Florida and California. And eating at a variety of ethnic restaurants. For those who like authentic Polish food, close to what my Polish grandmother used to cook, try Babuska's Kitchen in Northfield, on Olde Eight Road.

Thanks, Harry, for getting people like Pat and Steve Love and others to provide an update on their lives after the BJ.

I love it!