Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Finding Steve Love at Hiram

The search for Love has ended. Since no one was looking for me, the previous statement may not be totally accurate, but, hey, I was a columnist. In any case, the BJ Retirees blog has requested I reveal when, why and how I crossed to the dark side and became Director of College Relations at Hiram College. The answers are simple:

I became a flack a year and a half ago. I did so because the lovely Jackie
Love quit supporting me in the style to which I had become accustomed after finding herself among the Hoover executives sent packing by Maytag (she is now events and marketing manager at the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce). At the time Jackie was “retired” by Hoover, I was advising the Buchtelite, the University of Akron student newspaper, and teaching newswriting, worthwhile but less than lucrative endeavors.

When Tim Bryan was promoted to vice president for institutional advancement, he hired me to succeed
him. Hiram is such a great college that I have even become a student in the Masters of Art in interdisciplinary studies program. This adds 20 to 25 hours to my week, which has led me to the conclusion that I am flunking retirement.

I miss writing columns and editorials and the newsroom and editorial board associations. I miss all of you out there in cyberspace, Florida and other unusual locales. Someday, I’m going to get this retirement thing write, er, right. Arthur Krummel has been coaching me.

Best to all of you in the Beacon Journal family, past and present.

No comments: