Friday, December 01, 2006

BJ refuses letter from O'Connor

The Beacon Journal refused to print a letter by former veteran BJ reporter Bill O.Connor, so he has now written a letter to the new owner to protest Mizell Stewart’s dumping of Porter’s People “in a manner so callous it was cruel.”

Here’s O’Connor’s letter to the editor:

Date: 10/26/2006
To: vop@thebeaconjournal.com

To the editor:
I was saddened to see the end of Porter's People. Mickey is my friend, but I am sad for me, for I will miss his impish wit in my Beacon Journal each morning. I spent many happy years at the Beacon and will always be a defender of the paper, but here I must squabble with you, my own tribe.

\You see, I am not the only reader who feels this way. Porter's People was the most read thing in the paper. It was laughed about and commented on around office water fountains, construction sites and high schools.

I understand why a new management would want to put its own stamp on things. There is much to be said for that. But in this case, you have chosen internal maneuvers over universal reader interest I once was standing with Mickey in your very newsroom and a recent editor, in a time of circulation trouble, told Mickey he better not leave because, "I need that column."
Of course times change, and new approaches are needed. But, in this case, you have forgotten where you came from.

Sincerely,

Bill O'Connor
1108 Rambling Way
Bath, Ohio 44333

A blog item on October 18 reported that Mickey Porter wrote his last column for Thursday, October 19, but did not get the Final Word.

Here’s what Porter wrote:

The Final Word
Because of the newsroom staff reduction, this column is being discontinued after today. It’s been a lot of fun. Thanks for your support through the years.
~Mickey Porter

Here’s the word he got from features editor Mitch McKenney:

hi mickey,
mizell's going to use your last word in a handoff sunday, so the column running thursday ends with the AARP item. sorry we're losing you. we'll cobble together a column to fill the space, but it won't be the same -- mitch

Porter asked Mizell why the end was cut and here’s Mizell’s reply:

I'm going to say exactly that - and offer a few kind parting words of my own
- in my Sunday column. On another topic: Are you ready to return to work in your new classification of reporter?

The final word was not published in a column by Stewart.

Click on the headline to read O’Connor’s letter to David Black

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like Bill, I find it ironic that newspapers excuse themselves from the accountability that they demand of businesses and government. Mizell had the power to eliminate Mickey's "final word," and misused it. It does seem like a vindictive thing, a show of power. Little people do that. Big people are wiser.