Sunday, May 23, 2021

BOB CORALL OF BJ MAILROOM PASSES AWAY

 


Mailroom’s Bob Corall passes away

Bob Corall, in the BJ Mailroom for 30 years, passed away. Bob was born 5 days before I was, but in Akron while I was born in the coal mining town of Monongah, West Virginia in my Polish grandparents’ second-floor bedroom because my parents couldn’t afford to live elsewhere during the Great Depression but they could manage to create me (mathematically, on their honeymoon in Pittsburgh since I was born 9 months and 5 days after the wedding).

Ken Krause, who was sports reporter and editor and news editor at the BJ (1976-2000) before winding up in Medford, Massachusetts as a freelance editor and community activist, notified me. And provided such a great email that I’m just going to post it verbatim.

Consider this a By Ken Krause article:

 

Hi John,

 

Do you want to post to the BJ Alums blog that Bob Corall passed away? He worked in the Mailroom for 30 years (he received his 25-year service award in 1990; photo from that year attached here) and wrote the Paperhandlers column for Tower Topics for many years. You might remember he was on the Blue Room Committee with you in 1976 when the company was looking to make improvements to the lunch room area. 

Bob also was a beloved neighbor of retired BJ graphic artist Kathy Hagedorn Kortvejesi, who wrote this about him on Facebook:

“My neighbor passed away yesterday. Bob was the life of our neighborhood. We called him the Mayor of Firestone Park. Friendly to everyone, always a smile and a wave when anyone passed by. I’ve known him for at least 20 years and my heart is broken that I no longer will be able to talk to my friend, and really, my second dad. He always had my back, always concerned about my husband and I, always looking after us.

“Bob and I had a mutual love of gardening and he would gift me with a lovely and unique plant every spring. One of my favorites was a giant Elephant Ear plant. He was so active, golfing, riding his bike, strolling for a walk through the neighborhood. We spent many evenings sitting with him on lawn chairs in his driveway reminiscing about the day’s events and laughing about the crazy stuff going on in the neighborhood.

“My heart breaks and I send my condolences out to his entire family. He was such a great man and he will be missed SO much.”

Here is his obituary and link:

Robert E. Corall, 88, our loving father and grandfather, passed away on May 20, 2021.

Bob was born in Akron and remained a lifelong resident. He was born on October 31, 1932. Bob met his sweetheart, Patricia Latchaw, while being a newspaper delivery boy. Bob and Patty were married for 64 years. They were fixtures in the Firestone Park area residing there for over 60 years while raising their sons.

Bob retired from the Akron Beacon Journal after 30 years. Bob loved family get-togethers, golf and football. He attended numerous St. Vincent and University of Akron football games and participated in golf leagues.

Bob was preceded in death by his wife, Patricia; brothers John, Larry, Charles and their wives and sister, Dorothy Jubara.

He will be deeply missed by his sons, Robert S. Corall and wife, Susan; Joe Corall and wife, Teresa; grandchildren, Denise (Byron) Yeric, Daniel (Dawn) Corall, Christopher Corall; Jake Corall and Carl Corall; great-grandchildren Corall, Bethany and Benjamin Yeric, Andrew, Emma, and Claire Corall; brother Bill and his wife Katie; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Family and friends will be received Sunday, May 23, 2021 from 2 to 4 pm at the Anthony Funeral Home Kucko-Anthony-Kertesz Chapel, 1990 S. Main St. Akron OH 44301, where a Memorial Service will be held at 4:00pm. Interment Monday May 24, 2021 at 11:00 am at Holy Cross Cemetery.

https://www.anthonyfh.com/obituary/Robert-Corall

 

Thanks,

 

- Ken

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments: