Saturday, October 03, 2020

Joe Rice passes away

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Joe Rice interviews President Reagan


Joe Rice, who was a BJ politics writer before switching to the PD, passed away on Wednesday, September 30. He was 78.

Joe left the BJ in 1973..

He lived in Richmond Heights, a Cleveland suburb, with wife Janet Barragate Rice. Their children are Peter and Chris.

Joe Rice was a PD police reporter 1964-68 and a PD politics writer 1973-91. He left the PD to become a consultant for  politics, business and other areas.

Joe interviewed President Reagan on Air Force One in 1981.

He recalled:

I will always remember my exclusive with President Ronald Reagan in the fall of 1981. A friend of mine who worked for Reagan arranged it. I was told that if I came to Cincinnati, I could fly to Washington on Air Force One. A few minutes after I boarded the plane, I was taken to the President’s cabinet and did a 30-minute interview.

“I reported that Reagan would not object to bringing striking air traffic controllers back to work. My story made national news.

“During the interview, Reagan said he had heard my wife was a good cook from then-governor Jim Rhodes. He called my home and spoke to my wife, who was very excited. I was the envy of a lot of reporters.”

Reagan’s assault on the controllers union was the beginning of the erosion of American strength and middle-class financial stability in America.

Joe’s obituary:

JOSEPH D. RICE, age 78 of Richmond Heights passed away suddenly Wednesday September 30, 2020. Beloved husband of Janet (nee Barragate); loving father of Peter (Karin) and Chris (Nicole); dearest grandfather of Krista; brother of Pam Maranto (Savvy), Walter (Myra), Thomas and the late Roberta; dear uncle and friend of many. Joe was the political writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer for most of his career and retired as a political consultant. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in his memory to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis TN 38105, www.stjude.org . Private family service. A celebration of Joe’s life will be announced at a later date.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: