Sunday, September 09, 2018



Artist exraordinaire Kathy Hagedorn Kortvejesi, certifiably the Best Designer in Ohio (Society of Professional Journalists),  retired Friday, September 7 from the BJ.

Kathy was among the 2016 layoffs but returned to Ol’ Blue Walls as page designer for another two years to extend her time at 44 E. Exchange Street to 24 years.

The late Harry Liggett, once assistant State Desk editor and the founder of this BJ Alums blog, once remembered Kathy this way:

“When my granddaughter started showing some interest in art, I took her to the Beacon Journal to visit Kathy, who showed her how she does her job. She does it well.”

Kathy explained her technique:

I use acrylic paints. I water them down and apply them like a water color. I use salt while the painting is still wet to create texture in my illustrations.”

Retired BJ Features Department editor and home furnishings reporter Betsy Lammerding wrote:

I still cherish the fabulous retirement piece you did for me in 2008. It hangs over my desk.”

Kathy lately has been doing page designs, which sadly squandered her incredible illustration talents.

Kathy started as a part-time artist at the BJ in 1994. Several months later she was full-time and full of illustrative talent.

Kathy and another exceptional BJ illustration artist Dennis Balogh, who did some superb Channels television guide covers for me during my BJ Television Editor days, lettered the Save The Beacon sign they carried during a rally to unsuccessfully rescue the BJ from the sellout mania of newspaper management.

Kathy is a Columbus College of Art & Design graduate with awards from the Society of News Design, Creativity, Print, the Cleveland Press Club, Associated Press, National Headliner and the Society of Professional Journalists Best Designer in Ohio.

Her work also has been exhibited at Summit ArtSpace in downtown Akron.

She is married to Derek Kortvejesi, who works at Century Cycles in Peninsula.

You can sell Kathy well-wishes via her Facebook page or by email to klk164@sbcglobal.net

No comments: