Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Have a yen for Japan?

Going to Japan? BJ newsroom retiree Chuck Montague has about 140 yen in coins that he’ll toss your way.

I’ll let Chasm explain it:

“John, 

“Please post on blog that if anybody is traveling to Japan, I have about 140 yen in coins that I didn't spend and was unable to change at airport prior to leaving.


 
“Airport changes only paper money; banks will change coins, but I wasn't able to get to one before leaving.

“Thanks.


“Chas M”


Before you get to excited, that’s worth $1.12. But I’ve learned from my travels to 56 countries that small change comes in handy, far more than $100 bills, for example, which many places won’t touch.

I still have China Yuans from the trip by Paula and me to that country. Plus what my wiseacre son-in-law gave me for my birthday.

More than 100 Yuans. In $$$ terms, $15.95 for the first 100 Yuans.

I did give my granddaughter, who was going to Europe, about 54 Euros. She returned with some Euros but said she spent mine first and the leftover Euros came from her father, a Penn State grad.

She has her loyalty priorities straight. My daughter Monnie is in a Brunswick family of 5 CPAs, so I didn’t have a chance.

As for Chasm, his last stint at Ol’ Blue Walls was as a copy editor with a long history of being a leader of the Newspaper Guild at the BJ.

Chas M left Ol’ Blue Walls in 2008, walking out arm-in-arm with photographer Lew Stamp and line-drawer Ted Schneider, who found the famous Ann Hill on his trip to California and told her what a legend the Ohio State grad was at the BJ for her “I didn’t come here to write about shit” memo to managing editor Bob Giles.

Montague and Schneider came to 44 E.  Exchange Street in 1970, Stamp in 1978.

No comments: