Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sheldon Ocker to retire at end of year



Sheldon Ocker, who has been covering Cleveland Indians baseball since the late Bob Nold got tired of being on that treadmill, will retire from the Beacon Journal at the end of the year.

Sheldon’s email:


Sheldon Ocker
I'm retiring at the end of the year, but there is no mandatory retirement age. I'm a little tired of working 68 hours a week from mid-February to the end of baseball season, but I will be looking for part-time work, since I've seen all the episodes of “Housewives of Orange County” on TV.

I had hip replacement surgery four weeks ago, and everything is progressing well.

I am married and have two children, neither of which lives in the area.
Bob Nold passed away in 2009. Sheldon and Bob formed an elite group in the BJ Sports Department with Tom Melody, Jack Patterson, Dick Shippy, Larry Pantages and Dan Thom.
 
There had been reports that the BJ and the Guild signed a contract setting a mandatory age limit of 70 for retirement. Sheldon says there’s no mandatory retirement age at the BJ.

Sheldon covered Saturday’s Ohio State football victory over Iowa. Although the BJ, with its downsized staff, also relies on Buckeyes  coverage by the Associated Press’ Rusty Miller.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Worked with Sheldon 1972-1976 in bj sports dept. he was one of my bosses. Super boss, super guy. Always made us laugh. Truly enjoyed our trips to Luigis Friday nights after putting the sports section to bed. Sheldon, along with tom melody, rich zitrin, Jim derendal, bob nold, Milan zban, etc., were the reasons I truly enjoyed my stint at the bj. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!?