Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Catching Up With . . . Mark Price


Mark J. Price’s “This Place, This Time” articles in the Beacon Journal, along with Bob Dyer’s humor-tinged columns, are two of the brightest stars in what’s left of the BJ newsroom personnel.

At my urging, Kent State journalism graduate Mark provides information about his book, “The Rest Is History: True Tales from Akron’s Vibrant Past,” a publication of many of his articles:
 
Mark’s reply:

 
Thanks for the interest!
 
It's been an interesting year -- to say the least. I never thought that people would line up to hear me speak or have me sign books for them. As a committed social phobic, I couldn't believe it when I found myself standing behind podiums or being interviewed for local radio and TV. It's been fun meeting readers and talking about the past, or running into people I haven't seen in years. At every signing, readers suggest ideas for more stories about local history.
 

Mark Price
The title of my book is "The Rest Is History: True Tales from Akron's Vibrant Past." Sales have been good. The first three printings sold out. Granted, they were small printings, but the public response has been wonderful. I've heard so many nice compliments from readers.
 
 My book features 100 stories about local history. Since I've written more than 800 articles, we have plenty of material for a sequel if the UA Press is interested. Maybe next year.
 
I've been at the Beacon Journal since February 1997. Before that, I worked at the Repository for a decade. I've wanted to work here since childhood. The name of my sixth-grade newspaper was the Akron Beacon Juniors.
 
 A lot of readers don't realize that I am a full-time copy editor, not a reporter. I do my research and writing before and after my copy-editing shift at night. It's flattering that readers think I'm a full-time writer. My one story a week must have an impact!
 
 It was my idea to start the history feature in 1998. It was supposed to be a rotation of three or four writers. I never expected to be a weekly columnist. I didn't think I had the time! It just worked out that way, though. I could tell that readers liked these stories, and I didn't want to disappoint them by skipping a week when other writers weren't available. So I wrote more and more stories. I still feel guilty if I have to skip a week. I try to write features in advance for the weeks when I'm on vacation.
 
 Yes, I'm married to Susan Gapinski Price. We met on the copy desk. We sit across the desk from one another at work.
 
Thanks for reading my stories, John.
 
Keep up the great work on the blog.
 
                                   --Mark
 
 Mark’s book came out in March 2012. If you’re interested in the 225-page paperback version, it’s available on Amazon.com for $11.74 to $14.46.
 
Mark and Sue were married in 2010.

No comments: