Thursday, July 11, 2013

If you hear "free," hang up.

By John Olesky (BJ 1969-96)

The other day I got a robocall telling me that I could get a free medical alert device because "it's already paid for." Someone paid for it, either Medicare because my doctor ordered it or a friend, the robot caller said.

Never mind that I'm so "incapacitated" that I've traveled to 52 countries and 43 states since my retirement.

I hung up, of course.

Today I got my AARP Bulletin with a story about the medical alert scam. If you push "1," AARP warns, a telemarketer comes on the phone to pressure you into giving your credit card or bank account information that will let the scammer clean you out financially.

Some scammers tell the senior citizens that they ordered the device and threaten legal action unless they pay up.

The best advice when the robocall says "free": Hang up.

And then there are the robocalls wanting to talk to me about "your natural gas bills." Never mind that our home only has electricity, and no natural gas.

But don't get me started on other scammers who target senior citizens . . . or we'll be here all day.

No comments: