Thursday, April 18, 2013

An update from John Dunphy

APRIL 17

Dunphy update: Well it’s amazing how quickly things can change. Went in to see my oncologist Tuesday. The plan was to see him and then proceed to the chemo room for my weekly dose of poison. After we talked a bit, he decided chemo was over, he believed he had done everything he could do and there wasn’t much reason to go forward. I was surprised to say the least. So I went in Tuesday afternoon for some blood work and will have another positron emission tomography scan (PET). This is the radioactive one where they inject you with radioactive stuff and it searches out cancer cells.
So after those results come back, he and the surgeon will confer and figure out a plan of attack. The surgeon will do one more endoscopy where they stick the camera down my throat and take some photos and probably a biopsy to see what his surgical plan will be. If all agree, surgery is scheduled for June 5, a Wednesday. I will need a good month to detox from the chemo chemicals so it will be nice to be “drug free” for awhile.
If anyone has had surgery at USC, let me know what inside tips you can provide?

No comments: