Friday, December 16, 2011

A foursome recalls the good old days

By TOM MOORE
There may have been only four us at the ChrIstmas luncheon of the BJ retirees, but we had a great time recalling the past...the good old days when those working at the BJ were family.

You enjoyed going to work because you weren't working for somebody, you were working with them...from John S. Knight down to Smitty in the maintenance department.

And we four bemoaned the passing of those days.

Al Hunsicker, Gene McCellan, Carl Nelson and me.

I brought along three old “Tower Topics” I found in my basement...articles on the long-gone 25-year-dinners, golf and bowling outings and the family picnics.

And one was the issue about John S. Knight's death.

Somebody brought up the subject of the Indianapolis Speedway. A couple of the guys had been there to witness races.

Which led me to add that I also had visited there and had a tour of the track compliments of the Indianapolis Newspaper Guild.

That was 1959.

I was Guild chairman of the Columbus Citizen Journal and attended the Pennsylvania, Indiana and Ohio district conference.

And there I first met Al Fitzpatrick, Craig Wilson and a young lady from the morgue, Sheila.

Got acquainted with the group and spent some time with them.

Little did I know that three years later I'd have a reunion with them when I joined the copy desk to begin my career at the BJ.

Only four of us at the luncheon, but, as I said at the beginning, a good time was had by all and we four wish everybody a great Christmas and a grand New Year.

No comments: