Tuesday, August 16, 2011

John Olesky: Revisiting my life


By John Olesky
I took 2 of my 3 children and 4 of my 7 grandchildren on a trip to West Virginia to revisit landmarks of my life and my late wife's life and our courting days. It was an outstanding odyssey, captured on still photos and videos, with my commentary on the still photos.

The idea was to put together a verbal and visual record to give to my grandchildren so that they can show it to their grandchildren long after I'm a skeletal, dusty body in Northlawn Memorial Garden.

We revisited my Monongah, West Virginia birthplace, where I was educated in Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic School and Monongah High; Rivesville, West Virginia, where my sister, Jackie, lives; Williamson, West Virginia, where my late wife Monnie Turkette Olesky was born; and Cinderella, West Virginia, the coal camp where Monnie grew up surrounded by a passel of cousins because her mom, her mom's two sisters and her mom's brother all lived within a few houses of each other. So did Monnie's paternal grandfather. They called that section of Cinderella "Turkette Hollow" for obvious reasons.

If you're interested, click on the headline to see the 38-page photos/documentary.

No comments: