Friday, July 15, 2011

More surgery for Harold McElroy


While Paula and I were on a 3-day trip to Canada, BJ Alums received these emails about BJ business department retiree Harold McElroy, who lives with wife Linda in Pawleys Island, South Carolina:

UPDATE: (Wed. morning) just got off the phone with Mom. He had progressed enough to where they were gonna send him home tomorrow or Friday but he had a setback today and was transferred back to I.C.U. They think he may have a touch of pneumonia. He is on a breathing tube and antiboticsl. They feel that thay may be able to remove the breathing tube tomorrow.

UPDATE: (last night) more prayers are needed. I just spoke with Mom, and they have taken him back to surgery. They have found a small hole in the area of the removed lung that is filling up and causing infection. The Doctor felt that it was urgent that they fix this tonight. Which will put us back at square one in the recovery process. There is a small amount of pneumonia, but they feel this other issue is of main concern.

UPDATE: Mom left me a voicemail overnight. He pulled thru the surgery. My understanding is that the next day or two are extremely critical. I will touch base with her this afternoon and forward any update that I get.

UPDATE: (today) I was able to get in touch wit Mom this afternoon. He is holding his own, and is semi-coherent. There are a few risks involved in this procedure so basically it is a waiting game to see if it works. But they are sure that this was the problem. We just have to hope and pray that it works. He is looking at up to 2 weeks in I.C.U. at this time. Then more rehab, once he recovers enough to do so. So basically it will be touch and go for a few days to see if this works. So continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Our family definitely knows the power or prayer. I will continue to provide updates as I get them. But at this point my feeling is, if I am not getting constant updates, then things are going positive. He is aware that he has people all over the country pulling for him. And on his behalf, I will say that means the world to them.

(an hour ago) as of 5:00 they took him off the breathing tube so things are going in the right direction.


Harold had surgery June 15 to remove his cancerous right lung. BJ Circulation Department retiree Janet Hall has been forwarding the emails from Sheryl Scott Sheinin.

Click on the headline for earlier reports on Harold's situation.

No comments: