Monday, January 24, 2011

"Things looking much better" for Carrie

Jan. 23 status report on Carrie Brack, BJ newsroom retiree Tom Moore's daughter who is in Akron City Hospital with meningitis, by Caroline/Carrie's husband, John:

She’s showing more signs of waking up. Yesterday she gave me a couple of “thumbs up” signs, and when I asked her if she was mad at me, she mouthed “NO” and exhaled, trying to speak. The exhalation, of course, went out through the trach tube and not up through her vocal chords. When I asked if she knew who I was, she nodded, and when I pointed to her dad and asked the same question, she vigorously shook her head “no,” and grinned. I think she has a sense of humor.

This morning she was the most lucid I’ve seen her yet. She seemed to know what was going on around her, and was mouthing words trying to tell me something, but I couldn’t understand. She was motioning with her arms, so I undid one of the wrist restraints and she tried to scratch her nose and mouth area. I asked her if it itched, and she nodded, so I scratched it for her and cleaned off some of the dead skin in that area. I put her glasses on, and she seemed to be able to focus on things. I briefly explained to her what had happened, but I’m not sure how much sank in. Her dad brought in a musical Valentine's card and two kissing stuffed bears, which she seemed to enjoy. She’s definitely moving in the right direction, and I’m anxious for them to try diverting her exhalations out through her larynx and mouth, to see if she can speak.

She’s been breathing quite well on her own for several days, with a 30% O2 flow into her trach mask. This isn’t being done so much for the extra oxygen as it is for the humidity, since she can’t humidify her inhaled air through her mucous membranes in the upper airway. She still has some lung congestion, but she has a strong cough, and is able to expel phlegm through the trach tube. I’ve noticed that she no longer has much of a problem with secretions in her mouth. I’m sure that this is largely due to the removal of the old endotracheal tube, but I asked her today if she could swallow, and she nodded her head “yes.”

Her mother and I stopped in late this afternoon today and she was sleeping. The nurse said she'd been up since 7:30, most of the time in a chair, and went back to her bed around 4. She'd had a full day, so we let her sleep, and she hopefully will sleep well tonight.

I’ll probably find out tomorrow when they’re likely to release her from the ICU and move her to the rehab hospital. She’s really starting to get antsy, and I think it’s important to get her started on rehab as soon as the docs give the OK.

Bottom line: Things are definitely looking much better. Thanks again for your tremendous support, positive energy, cards, prayers, etc.

I’ve added a number of people to the distribution along the way, so I’ll repeat the mailing address, should you like to send a card:

Carrie Krack
c/o Tom Moore
669 Davis St.
Akron, OH 44310

Thanks Again,

John

Click on the headline for an earlier report on Carrie/Caroline's situation.

No comments: