Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Catching up with . . . Dennis Haas

After nearly two years of prodding, former BJ artist Dennis Haas responded with information about his life before, during and after the BJ. Here's Dennis' email:

My days at the Beacon Journal started in 1967, working alongside artists Joe Grace, Walt Neal, Bud
Morris, Art Krummel, Chuck Ayers, Dennis Earlenbaugh and Dennis Balogh. After many years of pen and ink, computers began appearing in newsroom art departments and I took a fancy to them. Twenty-three years passed at the Beacon and it was time for a change.

March 1990 I moved to Washington, DC to work under Scott Bosley and George Rorick at KRTN (Knight-Ridder/Tribune News wire service). It was a lot different than Akron. Computers were popping up everywhere and that was my main job at KRTN Graphics Network.

I worked with offices throughout the United States, Europe and South America, getting the KRTN Graphics Network product to them. Later KRTN became KRT and we started a new service, News In Motion, which delivered daily animated news graphics to TV markets throughout the U.S. Also at that time the KRT graphics service began producing CDs of its graphics in addition to the daily electronic delivery of its product.

It was a lot of fun, and challenging, because we were at the leading edge of technology at the time. Seven years passed quickly and now I had 30 years with Knight-Ridder. Maybe it was time for a career change. So in 1997 I retired from Knight-Ridder and was moving to Florida to do anything except newspapers.

As it turned out while I was in Florida locating a place for the movers to transplant all of Lois' (my wife) and my possessions I got an email from Jose Font, who I had never heard of or met, of the St. Petersburg Times IT Department. The email read: "We understand you are moving to Florida; why don't you stop by?"

Well, I stopped by and how could I resist? No more crazy hours or deadlines, just 8 to 5, Monday through Friday. Working with a bunch of talented, fun people. The Times had several offices in central Florida and they were always changing, moving and updating. So, not only did I get to become familiar with the area real well, I worked with a lot of people in all departments at the Times. It was a real joy; it reminded me a little bit when I first started working at the Beacon Journal.

Then the newspaper business began changing. The Times was getting hit with reduced readership and revenue like so many other newspapers. After 12 years with the Times I decided that I'd really retire. March 2009 was the BIG day.

Now, like so many before me, I wonder how I found time to go to work.

I have a 89-year-old mother who lives a little more than 100 miles to the north of us and insists on mowing her lawn herself (because she enjoys it) instead of getting a lawn service. I check in on her all the time and it seems like there's always something to take care of there. Then at home there are the projects that have piled up over the years of saying, "I'll do that when I retire." So, I'm never running out of something to do.

Earlier this summer my 5-year-old granddaughter, Tori, was crowned Little Miss Shortcake out of 28 contestants at the Bolivar (OH) Strawberry Festival. I also attended my 50th high school reunion (Orrville, OH) and had a short visit with Tom & Kay Marvin, and Art & Charlene Krummel.

So there you have it. My email address is dennishaas@mac.com




Dennis is a 1960 Orrville High graduate, in the same class with a name familiar to folks in the J.M. Smucker Co. town -- Kenneth Smucker, now living in the New York City metropolitan area.

In April 2009 Dennis' department head at the BJ, Art Krummel, and wife Charlene Nevada, retired BJ reporter, were in St. Petersburg in time to help Dennis celebrate his second retirement, this time from the St. Petersburg Times. Dennis was with Knight-Ridder for 30 years and with the Florida paper for 12.

When Knight-Ridder was sold to McClatchy in 2006 and BJ folks had their comments posted on the BJ Alums blog, I thought Dennis had a succinct statement:

"It's really sad and really a shame that the Knights ever got paired up with the Ridders."

Click on the headline to see photos of Dennis and his family.




What about YOUR life since the BJ? We'd like to know, with photos of you and your family. Email details and photos to John Olesky at

Jo4wvu@sbcglobal.net

No comments: