Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Catching up with . . . Elizabeth Patton


I got this email from Elizabeth Patton:

John, I really enjoy reading about you and Paula’s travels, experiences, etc. I can truly sympathize with your recent trip to Auburn, as I live in the mountains of Georgia and experienced first-hand more than 12 inches of rain in a two-day period.

I read that Harry is taken up with taking care of Helen, so I am sending you my updated address and e-mail address to post on the website. My address number has changed, but I haven’t moved. The county in which I live set about to re-address the entire county so I was given a new number. Something about GPS location so the emergency services can find me. I guess that’s good.

Anyway, my new address is

Elizabeth M. Patton
1160 Hidden Lake Road
Blairsville, GA 30512

My new e-mail address is empatton@windstream.net

Thank you for taking care of this, and I hope you continue your postings.
EDITOR'S NOTE: Harry took care of the email address change since I'm not proficient in that area yet.

If I ever am back in Ohio, I will try to stop by the luncheon. I would love to hear some of Terry’s stories. Thanks again, Elizabeth

= = = = = = = = = = =

Not satisfied with that, I asked Elizabeth to provide me with more information, particularly since her departure from the BJ. Here's what she replied:

If you recall, while I was at the BJ, I was editor of the Sidebar Magazine and I left in 1993 to take a position of Executive Director of Project:LEARN, an adult literacy program in Medina.

While at the Beacon, I lived in Cuyahoga Falls. When I took the position in Medina I moved to a beautiful flat above the Fireplace Store on the Square in Medina until I moved to Georgia in 1996.

Why Georgia? Well, I had friends that I used to visit in Florida and all they talked about was this beautiful place in the mountains of Georgia where they were going to buy property. I didn’t even realize there were mountains in Georgia! Anyway, they bought property in Union County, GA and eventually moved here.

So when the time for my next visit came, I came here to Blairsville to visit with them. And they were right. It is beautiful, peaceful, and all the things that make it a wonderful place to live. I recall being able to sit on their deck and actually hear the leaves fall to the ground. I knew right then I wanted to move there.

So in March 1996 I bought a house on 1.5 acres and packed up lock, stock and barrel and moved – without a job waiting! My family thought I was nuts.

I was fortunate to land a job as the Executive Assistant to the County Commissioner which I held till I retired in 2003. It’s a large county but with a very small (28,000) population. Our only city, Blairsville, has about 800 residents. Pretty much one of those everyone-knows-everyone communities.

Sixty percent of the county is in the heart of the Chattahoochee National Forest, which limits building and growth. Both good things to those of us who live here. One of our most famous attractions is the Appalachian Trail which comes through our county.

It's typical small town personified – politics and religion – both heavily infused into everyday living. About 150 Baptist Churches, 1 Catholic, so that tells you something as well.

My daughter, Cynthia, is owner of a law firm in Marietta, GA; and my son, Michael, is the manager of a CVS pharmacy in Dallas, GA – both within 2 hours from me.

I live with my best buddy, a beautiful Brittany Spaniel named Cookie.

I keep in touch with Sue Murphy, who worked in Advertising (at the BJ), and her hubby, Mike, who live in Hilton Head, SC. We visit back and forth and keep in touch, albeit mostly online.

I have had e-mail conversations with Ed Suba, Chuck Montague and Phil White on occasion.

Although we are off the beaten path and a little hard to find, visitors are always welcome. On a map, Union County is the last county in Georgia just 20 miles from North Carolina’s western border. (check out unioncountyga.gov for county website).

Sorry for rambling on. That’s about it from here, Elizabeth

= = = = = = = = = = = =

To see photos of Elizabeth, dog Cookie and the Patton property in Blairsville, GA, click on the headline.

No comments: