Monday, February 02, 2009

Maybe BJ is just going to the blogs


The demise of Knight Ridder and in these trying times for the newspaper industry our viewers often lament the passing of the good old days and the loss of the Beacon Journal we once knew.

Well maybe the BJ is just is going to the blogs.

If you miss Debby Stock’s Recipe Roundup from the old Beacon Journal, you can just log on to her blog called “Reckless Tarragon.” She’s been doing it since August, 2008


We started a list of BJ types (see below) who now have their own blogs. Ken Krause, a contributor to this blog, sent an email to let us know of two we neglected. Debby' Stock is one. The other one is David Adams' blog which he calls “Just won the lottery.”

Old age is catching up with blogger liggett. There was a post last December announcing the start of Dave’s blog. The old man also caught a little bit of flak on the last post for typographically referring to Bob DeMay as Bob Decay.


Never trust Spell Check. If you replace words Spell Check does not like with its recommendations you will get Decay for DeMay and Lagged for Liggett.

[Lord have mercy on me for rushing things into print, and Thanks be to God we still have guys like Bob DeMay struggling in the trenches.]

So add to the list:

David Adams “Just won the lottery" November 2008

http://justwonthelottery.blogspot.com/


Debby Stock “Reckless Terragon” August 2008
A blog for food lovers: “There are certain people, whom certain herbs, the good digestion of disturbs. Henry the VIII divorced Catherine of Aragon because of her reckless use of tarragon.” – attributed to Ogden Nash

http://recklesstarragon.blogspot.com/

Still sentimental for the old Recipe Roundup? Well click on it to read the last one on BJ newsprint..

Now here’s Debby’s first online post:

Welcome to my chaos,er, kitchen

I love cooking and baking almost as much as I enjoy eating. I’m all about kitchen experiments, or as Alton Brown says, playing with my food. I seldom follow a recipe exactly anymore. I’ll at least increase the garlic or cinnamon or substitute another herb for the cilantro that I don’t like so much. Sometimes the recipe is just a suggestion, kind of like speed limits or the Ten Commandments are for some people.

What I hope to do here -- God willing and pilot error not withstanding -- is share some recipes, cooking tips and various observations that may or may not have anything to do with what normally goes on in a kitchen. I'll test recipes from cookbooks and periodicals that catch my eye, and there will be at least one photo of each one (this is where pilot error may occur).

Everyone who cooks welcomes a new, tested recipe, and I welcome you to my blog.

For a while my posts will be intermittent, because we recently moved, still need to sell our house in Akron, and my sister and I are busy sorting through mountains of stuff in my parents' old condo. Then we get to put THAT on the market.

My blog name was born when I stumbled upon the above rhyme online about King Henry supposedly dumping his wife because of her use of herbs. To this I say, "You go, girl." Didn't the man eat everything in sight? How picky could he be?

Being a journalist by trade, I tried to prove that the very clever Ogden Nash wrote the rhyme (only one of the many references mentioned him), but I never could. And believe me, I looked through as many library books as I could find after my Internet search proved fruitless. I gave up because I'm not anal retentive, after all. I'm not. Or maybe it's that I'm not obsessive compulsive. Are those hyphenated? Wait, let me go look it up....

No comments: